YSaC, Vol. 403: Wait, I thought you meant a Volkswagen Thing.

2009 August 24

big golf thing

it is a huge round thing used to hit balls into golf balls babee base balls and foot balls
its free come and get it
call me xxx-xxx-xxxx

I’ve always wanted a big golf thing. I’ve been looking for one for years! Now my life is complete.

Wait, what?

Thanks to val_veeta for sending this one in!

A bit of administrivia: Some eagle-eyed commenters have already noticed the comment scoring option I added over the weekend. Each comment now has a small +1 symbol inside it, which you can click to indicate your approval of a comment. I thought it might be fun — hope you enjoy it!

26 Responses leave one →
  1. 2009 August 24
    Richelle permalink

    20 points to the person who comes up with the best suggestion for what they actually are giving away here.

    Anytime I think of something large and round, I picture one of those large plastic bubbles (a la Bubble Boy), but I have trouble conceiving how it could be simultaneously involved in hitting golf balls, baseballs and footballs.

    Adores: 7
    • 2009 August 24
      drmk permalink

      I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s some sort of a netted frame to catch golf/foot/baseballs (instead of having to chase after them), but I like your explanation better. I get a mental image of a guy in a giant hamster ball hitting a golf ball, and having it bounce erratically all over the inside of the ball.

      Adores: 23
  2. 2009 August 24
    Irregular Fractal permalink

    Finally! I’ve been wondering where the other part of this set got off to.

    Adores: 19
  3. 2009 August 24
    Caro permalink

    Forget the big golf thing; I’m trying to figure out what a babee base ball is.

    Adores: 6
    • 2009 August 24

      Since every one knows the sooner you start kids in sports the better, a new little league has started, “Babee” Little League. The ages range from newborn to 2 years old. Babee base balls are the official balls of the new league.

      Adores: 6
  4. 2009 August 24
    Colleen in MA permalink

    Hey babee! Welcome back drmk!

    Adores: 0
  5. 2009 August 24
    Doom permalink

    My first thought was that it was some form of pitching machine, but the mention of footballs kind of killed that.

    Adores: 0
    • 2009 August 24
      Windrose permalink

      I’m thinking the poster inherited this “thing” from a college bound child or something of that nature, and doesn’t truly understand the function him or her self.
      And while I enjoy the banter with “babee” I’m pretty sure they misspelled and mistyped “maybe” which gives the ad so much awesomeness it will soon implode and take us all with it. Or not.

      Adores: 1
      • 2009 August 24
        Ladycrim permalink

        Maybe they have a cold, and decided to write like they sound?

        Adores: 6
        • 2009 August 26
          Windrose permalink

          Fine. Reduced to voting for my own comments, to save face. But I accept it. It’s just the way things are these days. Votes, anyone? I’ll vote for you if you vote for me. 8)

          Adores: 1
  6. 2009 August 24
    Ems permalink

    At first, I thought “golf club” (like a “driver”), but that seems to be too obvious. So, my guess is “field hockey stick”. But regardless of what it *actually* is, it is free and I could always use it at one of those “big golf places” with all that green grass and sand and stuff. Or maybe even try my luck at one of those “big football places” with the field and the painted lines on the ground.

    Adores: 2
    • 2009 August 24
      D / DM permalink

      It’s a “huge round thing,” so probably not a field hockey stick… my guess was maybe a croquet mallet? But who the hell would hit a football with a croquet mallet (or a field hockey stick, for that matter)?

      Adores: 0
      • 2009 August 24
        Lola permalink

        Polo mallet?

        Lacrosse stick? The netted bit at the end is round … ish.

        Adores: 0
  7. 2009 August 24

    Babee got balls…

    Adores: 5
  8. 2009 August 24
    kristen55 permalink

    Hmm, I’m not sure I like the comment scoring. Suddenly I feel pressure to be clever. I may need to work off the stress. Maybe I’ll take up golf, but then I’d need one of those big golf things, but I don’t even know where to find one! Can anyone help?

    Adores: 17
  9. 2009 August 24
    Roland of Gilead permalink

    Perhaps it’s something like this?

    Adores: 4
    • 2009 August 24

      That makes sense so it can’t be that.

      Adores: 6
      • 2009 August 25
        Amaia permalink

        I’m too self-conscious to try any kind of witty commenting with this scoring on, but I think you’re right…you’ve cracked the code. It needs a colon after the “hit balls into.” That is, it is for hitting balls, e.g., golf balls, baseballs, and footballs.

        Adores: 3
    • 2009 August 26
      ??? permalink

      You nailed it. I’m guessing disgruntled wife. Too much time spent on the greens= give away his stuff. $127 new, good deal for someone who doesn’t have time for the driving range…

      Adores: 0
  10. 2009 August 24
    Mrphysic permalink


    It’s a big box of text type stuff where people shoot off their mouths and waste everyones time
    Replies are free – come and get ’em.
    call me kiss kiss kiss kiss!!!111!!one!one

    Adores: 6
  11. 2009 August 24

    It’s a giant golf ball.

    Adores: 0
  12. 2009 August 24
    katadata permalink

    i can’t even begin to come up with what could be used for baseballs, golf balls, and footballs. i’m so confused…

    Adores: 1
  13. 2009 August 25

    I can’t figure out what the hell this thing could possibly be! I seriously cannot even picture what this person is trying to describe. Arrrgh!

    I do like to imagine him offering it with a fake Austin Powers accent: It’s a huge round thing, BAYBEEE, ye-eah! Come and get it!”

    Adores: 3
  14. 2009 August 25
    mudslicker permalink

    I’m guessing jai alai stick and that’s my final answer!. …or a hula hoop (considering the lack of descriptive ability by the poster).

    Adores: 1
  15. 2009 August 25
    bitbot permalink

    golf balls babee base balls and foot balls

    Could it mean ‘golf balls, or minature baseballs and footballs’?

    Mabee? Mabee not…

    Wait, I got it:

    ‘It is a huge round thing into which one hits balls – golf balls, miniature base balls and foot balls.’

    Did some one say this? Babee?

    Adores: 1
  16. 2010 December 18
    KatyCat permalink

    How have you all missed this?
    “used to hit balls into golf balls”

    How much force does it take to get a ball to go inside a golf ball? Whatever this thing is, it’s dangerous.

    Adores: 2

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.